Friday, July 29, 2011

Still

This is the 5 minute Friday challenge from Gypsy Mama. 5 minutes if unedited writing on the topic, "Still".

I have been reflecting lately on the speed of my life. I have been reading a book called "in Praise Of Slow", despite my desire to speed read it, at the suggestion of one reviewer I have read it one chapter a day. It talks about the general speed of life, and how we are wired for speed in this age.

I find myself saying to children often, "hurry up!" Last night I read one chapter about how Germans have a name for how each person has their own time "ein giest" literally "own time". Sophia is our kid who especially takes her time to do just about everything and it regularly drives Wade and I a little crazy. But last night I considered perhaps she just has a differemt natural rhythm than we do.

I also thought about how I used to have a slower rhythm when I was a kid, and how adulthood take it out of you. I tried this morning to just be still. The children were playing in the garden. I sat on the deck. I had coffee. Then I began to play with my phone. I stopped. I noticed how all of them were on the rocker swing, just swinging lazily. It was then I realized that only a fool would sit up on a deck watching all that beauty go by without her, and I joined them on the swing.

But they are not still. They jumped up, began to perform a show, then ask for things, and meals, and attention and wisdom and clean clothes and many, many other things. So how can provide for them what they desire and require, and yet stay still, stay slow?

(This is the tension of today, which I am trying to live without feeling tension. I am trying to feel the peace of being still and KNOWING He is God, which is connected to lack of worry, and gratefulness and contentment.)

Words in brackets typed after 5 minute timer rang.






craps

5 comments:

Angela Oliver said...

Great POST Jo! You have a much easier time with this "writing" than I do! I have such little to show for it compared to you!!! LOL! Love you, Ange

Stacy @ Heartprints of God said...

How beautiful that you recognized the beauty in the "still" of the moment with your children on the swing. I had never thought about being still in this light, and yet, reading your post, God spoke an "Ah ha!" word to my soul. Part of being still is simply being present in the moment...even if your body is anything but still.

Thank you for sharing. God has used your wisdom to teach me His own~

Blessings-
~Stacy

mari mayborn said...

Stacy--The picture on your link at {in}courage was irresistible. I had to come over and visit a while.

That tension of slowing down and having to relearn what came so naturally as a child, I know it. Being present even when there's a lot going on—just being fully present goes a long way to slowing down. So rare to focus on just what's right there in front of you.

(And I'm not talking about that phone. *smile*)

Keep learning to live slow, because the kiddos grow up too fast.

Candra Georgi said...

LOVE your shot on the top of your blog! amazing

Anonymous said...

you should blog again!