It has been over a year since I last posted here. I spent hours the other night looking at blog posts and old facebook pictures and videos from 3 years or more ago, and I felt as if I had visited myself in time. I saw a video of Pax, at 2 days old, with his eyes open for the first time during his sister's waking hours, coming in my arms to visit them in the bath. It was so vivid to me that I looked at him multiple times the next day as if to make sure he was really there, this 3 year old boy who has recently determined there will be no more diapers.
I felt as if the Sophia and Eleanor in the videos, at ages 4 & 5, at 2 & 3, were more solidified in my memory somehow than these actual girls here in front of me... and I realized I have missed out on so much by being too busy to blog, to select a perfect picture or moment to capture in more posterity here. Not for anyone else than me. It stopped being popular, it stopped being a priority, heck, I had THREE KIDS. But the other night as I read old posts, I felt as if I visited our old home, our old season and it was good. It was very good.
The last 2 years of our life have been very transitional, after 11 previous years on the same street corner. 7 years on one side, 4 years on the other and then the most painful eviction and being tossed from the nest, all for very good reasons (in hindsight), but boy, has ever it been a journey and we are still on it. I have wrestled, ignored, held close, thrown away, and re-visited so many times the idea of home. The last two days, after the virtual visit to the past, was the frst time, I have lit candles and made a pot of tea for Wade and in in our new home and we have lived here for 10 months. It is time.
I have been sustained in recent months, by the wisdom and encouragement of Lisa-Jo Baker who is the only blogger I read regularly any more because I simply out of practice, and I have her posts delivered to our incredibly overwhelming email inbox. Lisa-Jo has encouraged me to write. And of course, Wade has encouraged me to do so all along, but today Lisa-Jo published an invitation to a blogging event called 31 days. 31 days is the creation of The Nester, and she plans to write about Home. Which was, no kidding, my idea too. But then Lisa -Jo is going to write about being a writer even when you think you're not, and I think that might be for me too. So I'm combining both, and I'm going to tell my story of wanting to tell stories, and the search for home. I'm setting out on 31 days of the Story of Home.
Want to join me? You can link up at www.thenester.com if you do. I would really love it if some of my friends came along for the ride. So this totally counts as #1, right?

1 comment:
Writing about events and life definitely helps them to stick in my memory, too.
I like your idea for a blog series! I look forward to seeing your stories.
Post a Comment