This is Ben. He is my friend and (after a misunderstanding during a Christmas shopping trip years ago) my little brother. He flies planes in Australia and I miss him so much I just don't think about it most days.When we were trying to get pregnant with Eleanor, he left Canada and before we even knew she would exist, we asked Ben to be one of her godfathers. He has still never seen her in the flesh, but she is learning about him.
We have been paying the "airplane" game when we feed the girls since Sophia was a baby, zooming spoonfuls of food into their mouths under the guise of it being Uncle Ben flying in his airplane. I guess you never know what your kids pick up, because today I asked Sophia to try and feed Eleanor a little avocado. She was doing great with her and in the brief moment of peace I went to check my email and instead wound up composing one to Ben. I had to tell him that over my shoulder I heard Sophia in a sing-song voice say to Ella, word-for-word:
"Here comes Uncle Ben, flying in his airplane, over the koala bears, over Australia, over the Wiggles, into Eleanor's mouth! Good job, Eleanor!"
Love you, Ben.
6 comments:
That is heart-breakingly sweet. Love that reaches across such distances and even beyond the constraints of any technical definition of "knowing" another is a beautiful thing. I only know Ben through your love of him and I love him, too.
its with tears in my eyes that i write this comment. i miss you and your wonderful family and ben soooooooo much! thanks for posting!
love you lots!
Ben! I miss him too! Does he has the same e-mail? Because he never replies, so maybe the address I have is old...
Sophia is so smart! She talks like she is 5, not 3!
i love this story. i miss ben too.. miss you. thanks for sharing...
I miss Ben too!!!! The other day this Australian guy called the church and I was helping him with something and at the end he said: thanks love in that perfect Australian way. And after I hung up I said aloud...ohhhhhh I miss Ben!!! My co-worker was a little confused..but I miss Ben too!!! Ben where are you!!!!
I'm reading all your old posts I've missed and I must say it was me who had the popples!
And I Love you anniversary cake!wow!
Uncle Paul camping is so great.
Sophia sounds so big.
The hurting baby sister stage will pass. Is that helpful? It will.
You are so wise to focus on the joy moments.
Post a Comment