Wednesday, September 26, 2007

moments of joy

I can't believe it's been 2 weeks since I posted last. I've had lots of good ideas for posts, but the time seems to never be enough for a deep outpouring of thoughts - so I think I will give an update of recent events.



Eleanor now has 2 teeth, is also very close to crawling, and today she made me laugh, really, laugh by laughing at me. She is sitting in the eating chair now (the mini high chair) and pounds down the food. She is super close to crawling, like to eat paper, and when she can, rips huge hand fulls of Sophia's hair out...payback.

Eleanor eats - and decorates with avocado.

We went to Seattle last week to see our friends and pay a pastoral visit of sorts to the YWAM crew there. It was a really rich time with lots of good connections. I felt like God was really in the timing of our visit and we all enjoyed ourselves. Sophia loves to play with our friend's kids, and we love hem all too, so it's win- win.


We spent Sunday cooking with our friend Zach, actually, he and Wade cooked, I ate. My favourite pic from the day is this one above of Zach and Eleanor. Eleanor's shirt is one that wade made for Soph when she was a baby. It has "Rage Against The Machine " lyrics on it, the front says "I was born to raise a fist against the system" and the back says "Yes, I know my enemy."


Phil and I eat the amazing pasta Wade made for us.

I'm well. I tend to be still trying to find a balance within my self most days of not stressing out over goals I set myself (and then feel I HAVE to keep, forgetting I can let myself off the hook), and just enjoying my kids. I wish I could remember every little thing they do and feel tempted to beat myself up about the fact that I can't seem to put any time into baby books or journals to catch every precious minute. Instead I have been trying to enjoy my moments with them more, so that when I look back I'll know the moments I can't remember were well spent - but I still yell at Sophia more than I would like. I still probably have a least one moment a day where I feel like a genius for handling a problem well, but those are interspersed with me acting like a 3 year old every now and then. Today I went for walk, something I have been meaning to do for literally months. It was pretty great, actually.

In grasping moments of joy a big, big one lately was being invited to a "animal pancake party" in Seattle. It was amazing! Our friend Heather's dad has a technique using turkey basters and squeeze bottles where he can create any animal you name and he was put to the test! I had a deer, Wade ordered a water buffalo, and others ordered manatees, lemurs, pterodactyls holding turtles - I think i loved the peacock the best - sorry no pic.)


Sophia had a zebra:

here's some others:


I think I'm gonna try it too....

3 comments:

Sandra Vander Schaaf said...

thanks for posting again, Jo. I love the glimpses. The animal pancakes are AMAZING. Must try.
Love you.
-S.

Rick said...

Make me a sheep!

Looks like you had fun... :)

The Rupps said...

it was so fun to see your photos, especially of the animal pancakes!! i'm so jealous, i have missed the breakfast every time he has come to town!! and so sad i missed you all as well...:(
thanks for coming, it sounded like it was a really great time for all.....