Friday, February 23, 2007

sign of the times

Okay everybody, keep praying. This morning, EVERY time Sophia was near Eleanor she smacked her or hit her or poked her in the eye. She did have an absolutely fabulous time with her Nana out at the drop in centre, but by the time I managed to put Sophia down for a nap I had to go up to my room, open my window up all the way and look at the mountains, recite what I could remember of Psalm 121, look at the tiny piece of ocean I can see and pretend I was on a boat.

Finally I got out the sibling rivalry book that was recommended to me..not too much in there about really young kids, except this one idea: if you have one child that can talk and the other is non-verbal, you get the talking kid to write a note FOR the little one saying what the little one would say if they could talk. Get it? So, when Sophia got up from her nap, I asked her to write a note for Eleanor to help her "talk".



This is Eleanor wearing a sign that (according to Sophia) says: "Don't Hit Me".
Hey, you laugh, but Eleanor didn't get beaten at all this afternoon. I bet you that baby's gonna beg for another sign tomorrow.

Soph and I also had a great afternoon as Eleanor slept, doing lots of playing and reading and pretending. It was really great to get to spend some time with her just one-on-one and I was able to climb down from the rafters by the time Wade got home.

Love you guys, thanks for your emails and phone messages and comments. Even if I haven't answered yet, I have been out of my house only once since Feb 10, so you're my lifeline.....

4 comments:

Sandra Vander Schaaf said...

What a blessing that tidbit of advise was! I wasn't laughing when I read it, Jo. I was crying tears of relief for you, for everyone. Empowering for Sophia and protective for Eleanor. Lovely.
-Moaike

joanna said...

thanks San...
love you too. now you made me cry...

Ryan said...

Hey jo,
it feels like i havent see you in ages!! (and im next door.. go fig) but yah just so ya know Im totally praying for you, wade, soph, and eleanor. thanks for keeping the blog going so I know how to pray.

you rule super mom!!!

jamie said...

what an absolutely fabulous idea about having the talking kid speak for the other... it's teaching her empathy! So cool...