Thursday, June 21, 2007

another conversation

Last night we were walking on the Drive, me pushing Eleanor in the buggy and Sophia walking along, straggling a little behind me. It was a sunny evening and Sophia was singing one of her made-up songs. I believe it was a variation on the "Twinkle Twinkle" tune again, but using only one word, perhaps "Butterfly".

Sophia: "Butterfly, butterfly, butterfly, butterfly"

A sunburned, grizzled, bleary-eyed (and obviously high) man sits leaning up against a storefront and watches Sophia sing her song. His comment is unexpected but affectionate:

Man: "You're a bum!"

S: "No I'm not!"

M: "You're a bum!"

S: "No I'm not!"

I am laughingly but carefully guiding Sophia by the hand past this engaging soul. Sophia doesn't really need my help though.

M: "You're a bum!"

S: "No I'm not!"

M: "You're a bum!"

S: "No I'm A KID!"

Soph pauses, bends slightly at the waist and points at her back side.

S: "THIS IS MY BUM!!! THIS IS MY BUM!!!"

Deciding this is not the time for the 'politeness to your elders' lesson, but rather the 'engage your local street folk with charm and humour' lesson, I say:

"You tell him Soph, you tell him."

2 comments:

j. oates said...

sooo funny!!!!! i love it. i love the way you parent your beautiful children. you inspire me.

Leanne said...

okay...what are you talking about strange man sitting on commercial drive? seriously funny. and for soph to right away have a come back....awesome! she is SOOO funny.