Friday, June 29, 2007

3 needles


Is it Elvis? Is it Shrek?



Nope, it's the bravest girl in the neighbourhood.


We went for Sophia's second round of immunization shots today. We decided to wait until after she was 2 because of all the disconcerting reports there are circulating about vaccinations these days. We settled on 2 years as the time to vaccinate be cause of how things changed in Japan after they stopped immunizing children before they were 2. We've prolonged nursing Sophia WAY longer than I ever thought I would nurse as an added booster to her system while we were waiting on vaccines. We chose to just do 3 vaccines, The Dip Tet combo, the MMR, and the Menningococcal C.

I was surprised it wasn't too bad this time. The first round of shots (last time) were HORRIBLE to watch for me. Wade needed to take Ella out of the room the first time and Soph and I were there by ourselves and I had to hold her down and she screamed and cried and made sounds like she was being tortured. I think she and I were both just so surprised at how big the needles were and how they had to jab way into her legs...ugh! Afterwards she recovered in her typically elastic way, but I was shaken for days - in fact I got nervous when we walked in there today.

Even though it is harder when your kid knows whats going on the first time (as opposed to just giving them when they are tiny babes), I actually found it helped a lot this time that Sophia knew what was coming. We talked about what would happen and we made a plan to also go to the library, and to have - Sophia's favourites - presents! (It's amazing the effect Curious George band-aids and a doctor's kit from the dollar store can have) Wade held her this time, and even though she cried and shied away she was total trooper, she even drew the doctor a picture of the doctor and her together. She is now playing in her crib, giving Baby Audrey shots with her plastic needle.

She also has told each and every person she has met today - "I Got 3 NEEDLES TODAY!" and it's amazing how much respect even the toughest grownup still has for needles. Everyone has responded with an appropriate amount of awe and commendation for her bravery.

As for nursing Sophia, I am pretty done. All the medical information that is being released now all (World Health Organization) recommends nursing your kids for minimum 2 years. The world average is 4.2 years...the average, so you know there are some 6 year olds nursing somewhere! Still I do not run into very many Mums in Canada who nurse until their kids are two.

I have grown a bit weary of being a nursing pioneer in a culture where nursing late ( or what is perceived as 'late') is not the norm. I do not regret my decision at all and will try and nurse Eleanor as long as I can. I have been happy to help expose people to the idea that the longer you nurse your kids the better, but I think I am nearing the end of my nursing grace with Sophia.

Sophia is so tall (above the 95th percentile - about the size of an average 4 year old at 2 1/2) and so verbal as well that it is a little disconcerting for many people (at least I think it is) that she still nurses. The main thing is that something just shifted inside of me about 2 weeks ago - so in a few days we are going to go shopping for a special big girl cup for drinking instead and say goodbye to nursing. I am a bit sad because I LOVED nursing her. Paraphrasing Anne Lamott twice in two posts, nursing is truly the purest form of communication I have ever known. Yet it's time - so I'd love your prayer for her (and me) as she transitions in the next week - and for no negative reactions to the vaccines too.

P.S. I'm giving the sermon at church this coming Sunday, so prayers for that would be cool too - and Happy Canada Day for Sunday too!

4 comments:

j. oates said...

will be thinking and praying for this transition i have a real phon enow and not just a cell phone so i will be calling you sometime in the next few weeks.:) miss you

auntiecaroline said...

Way to go on making great parenting choices. You did research and made the best decisions for your family. Not blindly accepting the status quo is an admirable thing. Yea Sophia! That sounds kinda scary. Love Caroline

jamie said...

is the world average age 4.2 more because so much of the world lives below the poverty line and it's the only way to keep babies alive? I have no moral issues against breastfeeding later then most or anything, but just curious if that's more the reason, as opposed to it being 'better' or something like that.

not saying that that's what your saying..i'm just saying.. ;)

Anonymous said...

yeah, i think that's exactly why it's so high...makes sense to me.
jo