Friday, June 22, 2007

make way for ducklings



For some time now I have been thinking I would like to do a book recommendation section on this blog when we find great children's books to read with Sophia. I hope to eventually have a sidebar with our faves, but for now I just had to post about the book Sophia and I have been enjoying so much this past week.

I remember hearing about the book "Make Way For Ducklings", but don't remember reading it as a child. I grabbed it from the library for Sophia without looking inside and I was so delighted when we sat down to read it. It was published in 1941 and won the caldecott medal that year. It is the story of Mr. and Mrs. Mallard looking for a place to hatch their eggs and their adventures in the Boston Public Gardens. We have read it multiple times and Sophia has learned the word "beckoned" and can hold her hands up just like Micheal the policeman helping the ducks cross the street.

I loved seeing the beautiful old illustrations and remembered so affectionately the rainy day Wade, Ralph, Angela and I spent in Boston on our "Sweeter" Tour in 2003. I had a whole train of thought about the lovely old swan boats in the pictures, and mentally bemoaned the fact that they were probably no longer the same. I loved how they were side-less, terribly unsafe and not modern at all.

Then yesterday I looked at Jessi's blog and guess what was there! Yes! A photo of her and Mike in the Boston Public Gardens in front of a SWAN BOAT! and they are gloriously unchanged!!!! I was so happy- check it out:



Not only that, today we watched the new "Charlotte's Web" movie, and guess which book Fern is reading to her pig Wilbur in the barnyard? Yes, "Make Way For Ducklings." The last neat fact I discovered was when I did the image search for the book cover I found pictures of a statue in the Boston Public Gardens that is a tribute from the book. There is a corner of my mind that wants to think I saw it when we were there, but I'm just not sure. Anyway, now I've come to love the book I'd like to see it again. Ralph, Ange, did we see it? Jessi did you see it?

Anywhoo, Team Pallister recommends "Make Way For Ducklings" for all!

1 comment:

j. oates said...

yeah!!!! the swan boats...ooh i loved the park.