Tuesday, September 30, 2008

ch-ch-ch-changes

Seems like time has sped up all of a sudden - it's October! We're going away next week to Alberta to see Wade's family and there's lots to do. I still have not taken pics of my new haircut. I'm warming up to it, but here is a pic of Soph (reading with Wade and Nori) with her new haircut which I LOVE.


One of the fun things happening in our family is that we've had an addition to the fam - no, no new babies yet. A young Aussie guy by the name of Peter. We expected to have 2 DTS students staying with us, but just this morning that changed and we just have one. For those of you who know the same Aussies I do, imagine that Simon had a slightly louder, taller, skinnier brother who was into music instead of computers, that seems to be it. He's from a big family with lots of kids and a little sister so he is amazing with the girls. Sophia has already fallen in love and insisted that he WAS a member of the family today. (Though that may have been more because we have a you-have-to-put-clothes-on-if-we-have-guests rule.)

Sophia is really practiced at listening to Aussie accents (thanks Leigh, Simon, Ben, Kim, Stu) so there is no communication breakdown there at all - in fact he Peter mentioned to Soph she should tell him if she had a hard time understanding him, but I imagine she probably wondered what he was talking about - don't most uncles sound like that?

One of the things that I love, love, love to do is think about changing stuff up in our house, so getting a room ready for the DTS boys was a fun excuse to be nesty. Here is what our cosy sun room looks like done up as a DTS dorm room. I made most of the pillows on the bench seat in the last year, but I wanted to get the barrel-shaped ones for a while, so this was fun.





My hot parenting tip of the day: if your kid is making an annoying noise, like dragging their feet through gravel, try doing it with them. Then you wind up remembering why it is fun to drag your feet through gravel, as opposed to wanting to just yell "STOP IT!". Love yas.


6 comments:

Kristina said...

ooo, I love that room, so bright and cheery! I surely do miss accents....

Angela Oliver said...

the room looks great jo! aussie Uncle's laughed at the post together - so cute.

Hey ben, stu, and leigh will be all here tonght (Fri night) and Saturday morning. What a glorious reunion - I have to say my heart is aching this week for the girls tho.

Anonymous said...

i wish I was a DTS student staying in your house. Any I wish I had some David Bowie on my i-pod. Ch-ch-ch-changes.

joanna said...

thanks everyone!

phil - i wish i had some david bowie too. especially 'golden years', the one they dance to in 'knights's tale.' that song was the difference between that scene being super cool and super lame.

Rachel said...

thats certainly the coolest looking DTS room ive ever seen!!
way to go jo! peter doesnt know how lucky he is!!
love you and miss you lots!
x x x x

Jan said...

How adorable is that! Can I come and be a DTS student at your house???!!!! Please!!