Saturday, September 20, 2008

phil


This is Eleanor holding Phil, the baby that lives in the yard. Sophia and I found Phil this summer in one of the "free" boxes on the side of the road that people leave all over East Vancouver. I did take another picture of Baby Phil but seem to have lost it, which is sad, because what you can't see from the photo above is that Phil is missing his left leg, and is um... anatomically correct. In fact he is VERY anatomically correct. This seems not to have phased my children at all.

Why someone would ever make a doll this ugly is a mystery to me. I think these "realistic newborn" dolls are made to give to big brothers or sisters to try and get them to be sympathetic when their parents bring a new baby home. A lot of newborns are pretty ugly, but few as ugly as Baby Phil. (Eleanor may be hiding his face just to protect his feelings from all of you judgmental types out there in blog-land.) Perhaps the goal of the doll is to create a feeling of superiority in children, that their new baby sibling may be a pain in the butt, but hey, he's not as ugly as the doll.

Eleanor likes to draw on Baby Phil with chalk. We are not sure why she does this, but it has caused Phil to have an almost "Lord of the Files" kind of vibe about him now, what with the missing leg and the chalk markings, not to mention the random leaking he does from the hole where the missing leg should go when he gets left in the wading pool.

When we first brought the doll home, Sophia wanted to call it "Nori" but we kept telling her that would be confusing, since that is Eleanor's nickname. (Though as I type, that logic seems faulty now - I don't think confusing Eleanor with the doll was ever a real issue.) But Wade and I thought it was so funny to call the baby Phil, because, well, we've got a good friend named Phil, and it was just funny to us. It did stick eventually though, because after Baby Phil had been around a while this summer, we had a random conversation about what we should name a baby boy (a real one) if we ever had one and Sophia said, "You should call him Nori. Or you could call him Phil."

Sorry real Phil. After the doll, the name is probably out of the running.

12 comments:

Mary said...

Wow-that's amazing...where can I get my own Phil the doll?

Karyn said...

I'm so sad to not have these experiences with two boys! I love the new banner/picture at the top of your page!

Anonymous said...

I'm gonna have to come over there and totally redeem myself.

joanna said...

The new "Lord-of-the-Flies-Phil" will be in stores by Christmas time, Mary, thanks for asking.

Karyn, I'm sure if we got Avery and Reichen a naked doll, a wading pool and some chalk, we'd see some magic too.

Real Phil, Sophia thinks it's funny that you think she doesn't know the difference between you and the naked baby in the yard.

Emily Deu said...

Love hearing your stories. I too love the picture of Sophia and Eleanor at the top of your blog, and the quote from Sophia. It looks magical! Love you!

joanna said...

aw, you're pretty magical - love you too em... thinking about you makes me miss you!

Rick said...

I am glad that Wooly is not anatomically correct, because people would think that I was odder than I actually am. :)

joanna said...

i think we're all glad wooly is not anatomically correct, rick.

Kristina said...

funniest post ever!

joanna said...

thanks steener - that means A LOT coming from you, 'cause you're funny!

philter said...

Hehe, that is amazing. Night baby Phil

philter said...

Hehe, that is amazing. Night baby Phil