Before Wade left for Cambodia, I took Sophia into her room and explained to her that in Cambodia there were lots of kids who didn't have nice houses like we do, and they have no toys or books. I asked Sophia to choose out some toys and books that Daddy could take with him to give to kids in Cambodia. I wondered if she would say no, but right away she started choosing a few small books. I took out her basket of stuffies and made a pile of small ones, thinking she would choose some she didn't play with often. Soph chose a little penguin that my Auntie Gill and Uncle Paul gave her (my Auntie loves penguins).
Then Soph chose Blue. You know, Blue, from 'Blue's Clues'...Soph's first big obsession. I said, "You want to send Blue to Cambodia?" not sure she understood what I was asking of her. She gave Blue a huge Soph hug and said "This is the best doll I never ever had!". I called Wade in and said, "Look what Sophia chose to give to kids in Cambodia." Wade and I were both tearing up and he said again to her, "You want me to take Blue to Cambodia?" and Soph just looked at Blue, gave her a big smile, kissed her passionately on the nose and left the room, leaving Wade and I in a puddle.
Today Wade wrote us to tell us where Blue is.
"Dear Sophia, Today my friends and I went to a hospital to visit sick people, give them food, and to pray that Jesus would heal them and make them all better. I gave Blue away to a little girl who was with her mommy. She was very sick and very sad. I prayed that Jesus would heal her and that she would like playing with your Blue. Then I gave your little penguin away to a little girl who was sleeping. She had really sore owies all over her bum. Please pray that Jesus will heal her."
Phil, who is with Wade, wrote more on his blog about the little girl with the 'owies on her bum' who now has Auntie Gill's penguin. It is heartbreaking. She's 2 1/2, just like Soph. I called Soph over just a minute ago to read the message from Wade. She thought it was pretty good, but she wants to watch TV. Why is my little girl here in Canada, sitting in a sun beam, watching Dora the Explorer, and that little girl is in a burn ward in Cambodia? We are blessed beyond expression, and my heart aches for that Cambodian mother who sits beside her daughter.
Wade said in his message to me, "The hospital conditions were miserable and the whole experience just made me want to to fair trade soap and build a school and a medical clinic even more. Everyone's suffering in that hospital today could all be solved with just a little bit of money. It wouldn't even take that much. It was really sad."
I miss him so much, and I'm so glad he is there.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
WOW, maybe we have a little missionary on our hands!!
i am enjoying spending time with your old roomie!
Post a Comment