Thursday, May 24, 2007

a conversation

We are driving to the airport to pick up Wade. On the stereo, the soothing tones of children's performer Raffi. Sophia thinks his name is Ralphie. This triggers a chain of thought that is expressed like this:

Soph: Mum, you remember Ralphie?

Me: Yeah, I like his music.

S: No, that other guy Ralphie.

M: You mean Uncle Ralph?


Uncle Ralph is a cool dude that regular readers know is our dear friend and former roomie who moved back to the U.K. several months ago. He is a lovely man who sometimes looks like this:



But he usually looks more like this:



S: Yeah, Ralph. You remember he sleeped in my big bed?

M: Yeah, that's right, he used to live in your room. Did you know he's getting married?

S: (excited) HE IS?

M: Yeah, to Auntie Audrey.


Soph knows who Audrey is because not only is she a fabulous Auntie, but we named one of Soph's favourite dolls after Audrey after Audge moved to Japan. She is usually naked. (The doll, not Audrey) here is Soph with Baby Audrey:




The other reason Sophia may have been surprised about Uncle getting married is that while Audge and Ralph lived with us, everyone else except Ralph admitted they were a couple. Audrey spent a lot of time looking at Ralph with a bit of a mix of adoration and exasperation - like this:



Me: Would you like to try and go to their wedding? We would go on an airplane.

Soph: Oh yes! I will dance.

M: That would be lovely!

S: And I will wear my fairy wings...




S: and I WILL BE NAKED!

M: (laughing) Oh, I think maybe you should wear a dress.

S: Okay, I will wear a dress. Will Uncle Ben take us there on his airplane?


At this point I quietly burst into tears in the drivers seat at the fact that a) she still remembers Uncle Ben, b) that she knows he flies airplanes, and c) that we and Ben would love nothing more than this very thing.

M: Oh, I think Uncle Ben would love to drive us to the wedding, but he is far far away.

S: He would say to everyone (assumes deep voice) "Hey everybody, get on my airplane." (We are approaching the airport and Soph sees a plane.) Oh! Can we take that plane to the wedding?

M: I don't know, maybe we will take that plane to the wedding.

S: Or may be that plane?

M: Maybe!


Since this conversation, Audge and Ralph have asked if Sophia will be a flower girl for them. She said "Hmmm. Maybe later." (She was watching Dora at the time.) We've discovered we have enough points for Wade and I to get there and we're so excited! (P.S. If you are an American resident, you can apply for Alaska Airlines credit card and if they approve you, they give you enough miles for a flight - check it out!)



We couldn't be happier for you Ralph and Audge, we love you so much!

6 comments:

Sandra Vander Schaaf said...

I love that Soph. Fab post, Jo. See you soon? -S.

jamie said...

haha cute.. i liked that!

Larph said...

wow, can' wait to see you all!
soph is growing so quickly, and i'm missing all the new stuff :(

MaryHuffman said...

Jo, you are so could at this. Your blogs are brill.
Just updated mine after a little frustration I had.
Lots of love... PS was praying for you also while Wade away. I love getting your hotmail updates.

j. oates said...

i liked this story too....you are such a great storyteller..and i especially liked the pics that went along with this story...miss you soo much. and looking forward to seeing your new little girl at the wedding..:) even though it's so far away it'll still be great.

hannah said...

i agree with jessi
you are a great story teller!