Yesterday, was full of talks and beach walks, cooking and eating and talking more with Don and Gwen, Sean and Chris.
It occurred to me this morning, upon reflecting on our time together last night, that a vulnerable thing about home - when it involves your family of origin - is the gathering together again after being apart for so long.
Pax, on the beach this summer with my Mum.
She did a campfire every night with songs and chants we did as kids.
She did a campfire every night with songs and chants we did as kids.
Paxy asked her to do the "Going On A Lion Hunt" chant over and over.
Here he is so filled with joy about her doing it with him, his whole body can feel it.
Granny roars.
For me, this summer I saw my siblings and their partners and children and my parents all together for the first time in 8 years. it was glorious and heart breaking, full of moments I want to remember forever, and stuff I had to work to forget when it was done.
It was tinged with new life, and the narrow escape from death. It was very, very real. I felt old, and very young within seconds of each other. We ate and ate and ate and drank and laughed and played games and pissed each other off.
I would not trade it. But... it takes a while to recover from it too.


1 comment:
I really, really want to hear more about this.
Post a Comment