Today's Five Minute Friday assignment: Voice.
He has always had a loud voice. I can see him, in my memory, talking loudly, calling out during a game. Singing so loudly, "The earth is the Lord's", reading to us, reading stories, the word of God.
Clapping his hands together at our wedding rehearsal, saying, "Right! the sooner we start, the sooner we'll get finished!"
He has a way with words, so eloquent, honest, cutting to chase, to the heart of the matter. His voice, written down, in his elegant handwriting, loving, assuring, communicating. His voice, encouraging, accompanied with his strong hand, squeezing your shoulder or your arm, a hard, firm, squeeze.
They found the cancer in August. He wasn't making sense of words. He couldn't talk as well as he would like. It was on the speech center of his brain. So many of us said to each other how ironic, how cruel, that of all people, HE would lose speech and language. He loves words so much.
He can barely speak now, he can not move well. But if I remember to look at him, when the conversation is buzzing around the room, if I remember he is still there, he is still inside, I see his voice is not gone, just silenced.
I said to Wade last night, as we prepared dinner, as Wade fretted about portions, "All will be well, and all will be well, and all manner of things will be well." I caught his eye. He was looking right at me, and he smiled, and he winked.
Earlier I put my face next to his, and was rewarded with a kiss.
He is not silenced. He is not gone. I will wait, still for a miracle, until his voice is gone.
And even then, he will not be silenced.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Wonderful post.
Powerful post. My prayers are with you.
Exactly Jo!
You are so strong in your faith. Remember the voice.
You touched my heart.
Awe, thanks babe. Crying and smiling... ~ Renate
A voice. That is what you have also, my dear friend. You are drawn to people who have one because God wanted you to be inspired by them to use your own. The one He gave you. I love hearing it. I always have. I have waited to read all of these posts because I just wanted to wait until I had enough quality time to read them with integrity, and I am so very glad I did. I love your voice. It is dear to me, and so familiar as to be my own.
Post a Comment